Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pearly Whites

The weather is lovely here in Costa Rica, but apparently, it's a bit nippy back in the US and other Northern climes. So, despite the fact that we are prancing around in shorts, many of you may appreciate seeing (and knitting) a Really Warm Hat.







The pattern is Susan Pandorf's Gotham hat, which I modified because I used heavier yarn than the original. I happened to have some Yubina Chunky cashmere and a bit of Richmore Count 10 mohair, so I worked them together to make a fluffy, warm little head cover. I omitted the final repeat and altered the stitch count to make the hat fit my head (a practical concept I try to use often).

I wanted to decorate the hat with some beady stuff, but I didn't want pounds of pearls on my head, so I bought some cheap plastic pearls from Michaels and sewed them on afterward. The holes in the pearls were too small to thread on the yarn during construction.

In Other News...

We originally came down to Costa Rica for a bit of medical work and a lot of sightseeing, but our trip didn't work out exactly as planned (as usual). Instead of frolicking in the rain forests and ogling indigenous animal life, I spent most of it in a San Jose hospital.

I can tell you that, while the hospital was fabulous (and accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield), I was unable to knit, thanks to the plentiful IVs that adorned both arms. In fact, even though I couldn't do anything with knitting needles (Enough already with the needles!), I did sort of resemble of skein of yarn. The knitless weeks turned out to be a good thing, because I was down to a single skein of sock yarn. And folks, there is not a single yarn store in the entire country.

Several lovely people offered to send me yarn--thank you all for your generosity!

We are returning home Wednesday where I shall bury my face in my stash for a few hours and pick up my needles (knitting, not IV) once more. I do have something exquisitely lovely to show you next time, so please come back and enjoy.

And no, before you ask, Harry was totally useless. He picked up a karaoke gig in a local bar, where his Japanese renditions of popular favorites were greeted with wild enthusiasm. He did visit the hospital several times, only to be chased around by nurses wielding tightly wrapped tortillas. He also took my lonely skein of sock yarn with him on his last visit, noting that I couldn't knit, so why waste it? Little heartless creep.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I cannot imagine being stuck (literally, in your case) in a hospital unable to knit. What a pretty hat, though, perfect for your return home.

Dave said...

Your hat looks lovely, and mmmm, cashmere and mohair. And sparkleys. :-)

Hoping your return home means you're feeling better, and please, stay out of hospitals from now on.

yarnlot said...

Glad to hear the hospital stay is over...although you make it sound funny, the best moment is always when you are leaving a clinic.
Be indulgent to Harry taking your sock yarn, he has eight feet to cover...

Renna said...

Though I'm sorry for your reasons for being there (CR), your posts are always entertaining, as is Harry. ;-Þ

The hat is positively gorgeous! Not having those yarns, and needing to stick to my stash for budget reasons, I'm going to try and figure out what yarn to use to make one of those myself. It is seriously pretty, and so very feminine looking.

Monika said...

This hat is perfect! Lovely subtle colors. Imagine that Harry, no sense of decorum! :o)

Courtney said...

Hope it was nothing serious and that you are better now!

Kitty Kitty said...

The hat is absolutely lovely... Glad to hear that the stay is almost over in the hospital. Sorry that you were not able to get as much wondering in the rain forest time. Please get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Please get well soon - you must be relieved to get home!

Laritza said...

Darling hat! Do not leave Harry behind! bring him home :D

BadCatDesigns said...

It is so nice to see you "up and about" on your blog. That can only mean good recovering going on, no thanks to the spider. I love the hat. It looks totally soft and very elegant. I will be waiting for the rest of your show and tell. Safe home.

Suzann said...

Beautiful hat. Just enough pearls. I am really sorry your stay in CR was mostly in hospital. But glad it was a good hospital.
Enjoy you long yarn sniff and fondling when you get home. Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

<3
<3
<3

Lacefreak said...

The hat is beautiful in spite of the limitations placed on your knitting in the hospital. I hope you are feeling better.

Soo said...

The hat looks great. Hope you will be returning home healthy and happy and raring to knit.

Safe travels!

missalicefaye said...

Lovely, lovely hat! I hope you're feeling much better.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better!

USA knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kay said...

So glad that you are coming home today. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for us.

Opal said...

lovely hat! welcome home! :)

LittleBerry said...

glad you're up and about and always amazes me how you manage to make a bad situation funny, were most wouldn't....

I love the little hat and the pearls are perfect with the colours....

Judith said...

lovely hat, love the pearls! glad to see your post, my days were duller without them.

Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful. Looking forward to the really elegant project.

have you ever thought about putting a clip of Harry doing karaoke on Yo Tube? he may as well be good for entertainment value!

madonnaearth said...

So nice to see another Pandorf junkie besides myself! I love her floral lace patterns, and the wraps she has been coming out with are so gorgeous! Love the hat, especially the color changes in the yarn. Nice! I like your triad scarf also.

Enjoy the weather as much as you possibly can though, before returning home. I long for the summer. It seems so far away.