Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Creamed Corn

One of the problems with air travel these days is the so-called security check. I travel with two computers, shoes, handbag, and carry-on suitcase, each of which requires a separate container for x-ray. I had taken the corn bunting out to fiddle with during the interminable flight from Narita and didn't get a chance to stuff it back into my suitcase. During the excitement of removing shoes, replacing laptops into the computer bag, donning shoes, getting wanded, and so on, I forgot to pick up the knitting bag.

It's still in Detroit, although Roy pointed out that they probably blew it up by now. Popcorn?

I am not overly saddened, because I hated knitting with that heavy sport-weight yarn. The loss of my KnitPicks was more hurtful.

By the way, here is a mostly useless factoid for those of you who might ever acquire a box of genuine wasabi kasu: it sets off the bomb sniffer. Someone kindly gave me a huge box of this stuff before I left. Kasu is the lees left over from making sake. It's a paste that smells like wine and tastes like heaven, especially when mixed with wasabi. Like balsamic vinegar, most wasabi is imitation, as the genuine stuff is very expensive. Two Japanese friends sent away to their home province for a supply of kasu mixed with The Real Thing. It was worth the hassle at the airport, but if someone gifts you with a box of it, be prepared for a bit of Airport Security Panic.

A wonderful harvest of yarn, patterns, and books awaited me at home as compensation. RIP, corn bunting. The next few posts will be fun!

10 comments:

missalicefaye said...

no more corn bunting? :(

Welcome home!

Carol said...

I set off every metal detector on mylast trip. Turns out my bracelet was too much metal in one place...who'd a thunk it?

Kitty Kitty said...

I wonder what it is about wasabi that sets it off.. I am just glad they didn't confiscate it.

Iris G said...

Well, the security check, what can we say...
We used to make rice wine/sake and the lees had always been a favorite for everyone. Never tried to mix it with wasabi though!

Opal said...

wasabi kasu sets off the bomb sniffer? wow! good to know.

my condolences on losing the knitpicks. :-(

Lacefreak said...

It's fate. No more corn bunting means your hands won't hurt anymore and you can knit beautiful fine lace to your hearts content! I have a feeling that the things you bought while you were languishing in Japan were mostly lace related! I look forward to your further adventures and my sister is still hoping for a pattern for the beautiful booties!

Janice in GA said...

I wasn't that crazy about the corn bunting anyway. :) Welcome home!

LittleBerry said...

at least your conscience is clear that you don't have to finish the corn bunting before continuing with lace. Did you really forget it???? ;)

BadCatDesigns said...

That is so sad, about the little corn bunting.

Laughingrat said...

Aw, I'm sorry about the bunting. Phooey. :(