Saturday, January 27, 2007

Designated Penguin III




I rise to the challenge.

Today I did two cast-ons. The first one is for Mondnacht--a stunning scarf from New Style of Heirloom Knitting. As far as I tell, the New Style involves wickedly complex garments knitted with bizarre construction techniques, such as short-rowing to shape Shetland shawls. And all these fun ideas are carefully wrapped in a teeny-tiny kanji font, just in case you thought you had a clue.

Information about ordering the book with this pattern can be found here. It's in the book with the Mountain Ash shawl, for those who might be contemplating knittiing the latter.



Stunning, isn't it? I cast on the required 100 stitches on a #3 needle using Zephyr--about half the weight of the original yarn (which I calculated to be about 2200 yards/pound). Here, for posterity, are the first three rows.



For those of you not familiar with Hazel Carter's Spider Queen shawl, I present this slightly Photoshopped image, which represents what the shawl should look like when I have woven in the last loose end, broken open the champagne, and retired to the Possibly Happy Home for Lunatic Knitters.


Here we have 179 stitches an a #2 needle for the center of the Black Widow Spider Queen shawl. I am using the Gentle yarn described in an earlier post. It's 5% cashmere, 95% merino, and soft as a cloud. The yarn was shorn from Elmer here, who is posing with his late hair.


Here's an interesting comparison between the two cast-ons. Notice how much thicker the Zephyr looks compared to Gentle. There are three rows of the Zephyr knitted up, but the row lengths almost the same. Scary, isn't it?


You probably won't hear about these two projects until I finish the Dragone. I will start chart 4 tomorrow, so it won't be that much longer until you can lift your coffee cup, breathe a big sigh of relief, and say to yourself "Better her than me."

12 comments:

Dave said...

Two black lace projects. The penguin is in the deep end. I shall be watching with interest and not a small bit of awe.

Operakatz said...

Fleeeegle....I believe Jocelyn's Fiber Farm uses Zephyr under their own name Shine and has a wide range of handpainted colorways on it...I figured this out after they "introduced" their mill-dyed solids of "Shine" and it's the Zephyr exact colorcard. http://www.joslynsfiberfarm.com

Get that pocketbook out :D

Reluctant Penguin said...

Brave? Crazy? Several adjectives come to mind. Your Spider Queen is absolutely gorgeous... and especially in black. But KNIT BLACK LACE???? Even your fellow Penguin draws the line there.

Anonymous said...

Wellll,
I'll dive into Mondnacht after you, but not till April. Spider Queen? Meh, not really wild about it. I think you'll have to swim alone on that one. ;)

Lacefreak said...

Evil Girl,

I was only going to knit Spider Queen in a Navy Gossamer weight yarn. Now You have me thinking I could do it in Black. Please tell me that the other lace book has an English translation. I already have book on tatting in Japanese and I'd hate to have to figure how to knit that pretty little shawl without being able to read the language. Please tell me it has English translation or I will have to fire-bomb you even though you are talented and crazy.

Batty said...

Both are gorgeous, I don't think I'll be able to resist. Mondnacht is particularly gorgeous, but Spider anything is enough to get me to pay attention!

Chris Moriarty said...

Serendipity! Or should I say penguindipity? I was googling "Spider Queen" and "Zephyr" because I have Hazel Carter's pattern AND a whole skein of black zephyr sitting in my closet, and, well ... like you said. The shawl seems made for black. And using something from the stash would officially make me a Good Person, wouldn't it? As my designated penguin, will you please let me know how it goes for the next few weeks? If you get eaten by whales before I finish my current project, maybe I ought to reconsider. Love the headlamp idea though. Now where the heck has my old box of climbing gear gotten to?

fleegle said...

There seem to be a lot of penguins crowding around me lately. Oooo, look! A big shar.....

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring. I'm going to bookmark your blog when I get home from work.

Where can I read the post about the mixer, lace and cat? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find it.

Thanks.

fleegle said...

Joanne, the KBH list had that link today. I have trouble finding it myself! It's buried in another post about Knitting Police somewhere in the Knitter's Review lace forum.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Just... wow! x

Experimental Knitter said...

I have that book and bought 2 more Japanese knitting books to help decipher the stitch code. I admire Mondnacht too.